As dwellers on this planet, we make a significant impression on the environment. Our precious air and ecosystem need’s to be cared for, especially as we learn that it’s not the planet we are destroying, it’s ourselves. The planet will still be here for billions of years with or without us. The first thing we need to do is work together in all our industries, and make steps towards an eco-friendly alternative that creates sustainability.
The packaging industry has made big steps forward in making waste recyclable. This gives the consumer and the manufacturer the ability to work together and use waste for new products. So what’s the next step?
We currently use oil which is sourced from underground, this is then processed and extracted to produce chemicals that make HDPE and PET plastics. The idea is to make a sustainable plastic alternative that cuts out a lot of the extraction processes.
This is where biopolymer plastic can make a significant change in the way we produce plastic bottles for many different industry types. Biopolymer is created using the waste of sugarcane. The renewable sugarcane captures CO2 from the atmosphere, helping to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Raepak’s new biopolymers are totally recyclable and provide a genuine direct replacement for standard HDPE and PET bottles.
A number of top brands have been changing the materials they use to sugarcane in their product lines. This helps consumers identify products that are using bioplastics. Brands adopting this change will display the “I’M GREEN” trademark seal on their packaging to let the consumer make a better choice before purchase.
The Benefits of Biopolymer Bottles
- Lower greenhouse gas emission resulting in a reduced carbon footprint
- Made from renewable raw materials – a maximuim of 96% for HDPE and 30% for PET
- Derived from sugarcane waste as opposed to conventional HDPE & PET which is sourced from oil
- Does not cause deforestation
- It can be recyled in the same stream as conventional HDPE and PET
- Using HDPE and PET Biopolymer helps to prevent global warming
- Does not increase atmospheric CO2
- There is no difference in appearance or colour compared to regular HDPE or PET
- The processing or productivity compared to regualar HDPE or PET is the same
- No difference in performance or properties
- Can be combined with PCR material
- The consumer is educated with the trademark ‘i’m green’ logo
Biopolymer Bottle Types
Raepak now offers two alternative materials that will help push forward with sustainability. These bottles can be used as a replacement with all our existing HDPE and PET plastic bottles. This will give brands more options when considering what type of material to use before they sign off any manufacturing considerations.
The two new materials are:
For more information simply click HERE